Saturday 13 April 2013

Sharpeville – Turn 11

Well, I have to say that I was pretty lucky to come away with a victory at Sharpeville given that the entire Confederate army was present on the table right from the start. It was a bit of a risky strategy to engage the enemy as I did but it paid off – this time anyway!

The remnants of Heintzelman's battle weary command moving west out of Sharpeville on their way towards Fremont. General Pope is saluting them as they pass by his HQ.

So what’s next? I’m still tied to defending the towns of Sharpeville and Fremont and this limits my ability to manoeuvre because I cannot risk letting either VP site fall into enemy hands. My suspicion is that Dave will feint towards Fremont and then strike again at Sharpeville hoping I have shifted most of my Corps away to the west. To counter this I intend to move Heintzelman’s shattered Corps to Fremont and bring up Sigel’s fresh troops in his place. I will also pull back slightly from Sharpeville to give the illusion of a weak position there.

My deployments at the end of move 10. The units shown in white are Heintzelman's "battle weary" divisions. These formations will have minimal combat effectiveness until they are rested.

It will take Dave a move or two to get his forces ready for any offensive action and this should give me plenty of time to reorganise my own troops and scout the enemy positions.

No comments:

Post a Comment