Thursday 14 March 2013

Sharpeville Turns 1 - 2

“Let us understand each other. I have come from the West, where we have always seen the backs of our enemies; from an Army whose business it has been to seek the adversary and to beat him when he was found; whose policy has been attack and not defense.”

General John Pope issued a famous proclamation after assuming command
 of the Army of Virginia - I'm not intending to tempt fate in the same way!

Well, to be honest I’m not feeling quite as confident as General John Pope did at the start of the real 2nd Manassas campaign. Granted I do have to move forward and secure the towns of Fremont and Sharpeville (worth 2 VP’s each to the Rebs) but I wouldn’t classify this as “attack” more like “move forward a bit and hold ground”. I always find the start of any new campaign a bit nerve wracking – imagining irrationally that Dave has somehow moved the entire Confederate army into my rear, but once the two armies start to make contact and I get some idea what he’s up to I’ll begin to relax a little.

The situation at the end of turn 2 (7.30am) - no enemy in sight yet.

Map movement is restricted by a Command Point (CP) limit, modified with a die roll, which means I am unable to move all my forces each turn. This restriction has really made me aware not to move my various Corps too far apart because they need to be mutually supporting in the event of a table battle. In particular I need to make sure that the Artillery Reserve and the Supply Train can reach the scene of battle or I could find myself in quite a fix.

Heinzelman is almost at Sharpeville now and should be able to enter the town next turn.

After 2 turns I have managed to get Heintzelman’s Corps into a position just east of Sharpeville with Tompkin’s Cavalry Division covering his flank. Meanwhile, on the opposite flank, Bayard’s Cavalry Divison is approaching the outskirts of Fremont with Sigel’s Corps trailing a little way behind. My immediate aim is to deny possession of these two VP locations to the Rebs and then bring forward the remainder of my army in support.

Don't forget, if you want to know what's going on over the other side of the hill you'll need to visit dave's blog Wilderness Tavern.

No comments:

Post a Comment