Saturday 6 December 2014

11.20am 12 Sept 1862 – turn 11

I confess that I am more than a little puzzled about Dave’s intentions at the moment. I can see that infantry and artillery are moving through Sharpsburg but instead of heading east to prevent me crossing Antietam Creek they appear to be moving north. Perhaps a part of the Rebel army really is crossing the Potomac further north - Pleasonton has spotted some enemy troops heading east from Falling Waters but it’s not clear if this is a substantial force or merely a few cavalry scouts.

The situation around Sharpsburg (click the image to zoom in). The puzzling thing is that the column of enemy artillery (top left) is moving away from the town rather than towards it!

Mansfield and Sumner have managed to get a foothold across Antietam Creek but both are only engaged with enemy cavalry, it seems strange that Dave is not trying to defend these crossing points more vigorously. Until I can find out more clearly what the enemy is about I am reluctant to press too far towards Sharpsburg as the lack of crossing points along the creek risks my men being cut off and trapped against the impassable creek banks in the event of a Confederate attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment